Wednesday, February 10, 2010

more Valentine's ideas



i have tried a lot of sugar cookie recipes.
not because i do not have a great one.
but more because mine is not best rolled out and shaped.
mine is best rolled into balls and pressed with a cookie stamp.

i always get excited when people tell me that they have the best sugar cookie recipe.
i give it a try.
it always dissapoints.
ALWAYS.
i always come back to my original recipe.
it is my husband's favorite cookie -even beating out cowboy cookies.

i made these giant heart sugar cookies for a valentine's party.
i signed up to decorate a table and this was the "little" treat I put at each place setting.
i needed to do it on the CHEAP.

here were the results:



pink constuction paper placemats that I wrote conversation starters all around the border. i was not sure who would be sitting at our table and I wanted to be prepared = FREE
plates from Target = $1.50
package of balloons = $1.00
feather boa {leftover from my girl's dance costumes} = FREE
bag of conversation hearts to fill vase = $1.00
red globets {from home} = free
real silverware {from home} = free

not bad for under $5.00

now you can enjoy Joann's sugar cookies too.

4 cups plus 2 TBSP flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup of softened butter
1 cup of white sugar
1 cup of powdered sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla {use mexican vanilla if you have it}
1 cup of vegetable oil {i said they were good - not healthy}

Mix together. Roll into balls and roll in white sugar. use a cookie press or the bottom of a glass to press down. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. You do not want these to really brown. They will BARELY start to brown when you need to take them out.

you do not need to chill.

honestly, if you think that you have THAT one amazing rolled out sugar cookie recipe - i am up to trying it out.
for now i will happily continue to make these.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I will have to give that a try. Did you ever try the recipe I gave you for my sourcream sugar cookies? If so and you still like this better, then I know what I am making this weekend with the kids :)! Your table looks great! By the way, I love your header. Cute kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you didn't like the recipe I gave you?
    I'm surprised. They are the easiest sugar cookies to make and taste really good and well, just so darn easy! I'm happy I found one that works so well and will use it for many, many happy years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cookies and your party look great! Will definitely try the cookies. I am always up for a new sugar cookie recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete